Training & TransformationChanging aging services through our LGBTQ Aging Cultural Humility trainings and more.
Openhouse’s trainings provide service providers with information on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer older adults. Our goal is to educate participants on the life experiences, health disparities, and barriers to care affecting LGBTQ older adults, and equip participants with information and tools to provide adequate and comprehensive support to LGBTQ older adults.
To request training, please fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible! *Please give a window of 3-4 weeks between the date of your request and the date of the training so we can meet your facilitation needs.*
We highly recommend that your organization complete the Cultural Humility Training as a foundation to our other trainings. Sample training topic areas are included below, and Openhouse can work with you to customize a training as well.
- Cultural Humility with LGBTQ Older Adults
- Working with Older Transgender Clients
- Practical Applications: Case Studies of Incidents and Interventions
- Restructuring Inclusion: Better Practices for
- Working with LGBTQ Older Adults
- Required Demographic Information
- Collection: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI)
- California LGBTQ Residents’ of Long-Term Facilities Bill of Rights
Our training program lays the groundwork for your staff to become allies and advocates for your LGBTQ older adults clients, residents, caregivers, and community members.
Openhouse’s three-hour LGBTQ aging cultural humility training will provide:
- Cultural Humility as a Framework
- Transgender Health Disparities and Barriers to Services
- Exploring Ageism
- Key Gender Terms and Definitions
- Practicing Pronouns and Advocating for Appropriate Use
- Do’s and Don’t’s of Working with Transgender Older Adults
- Group Work and Practical Applications: The focus of this section varies depending on your organization’s needs
Collecting SOGI data with older adults
- Overview of San Francisco Ordinance
- Building trust and rapport to create safer space for collecting sensitive information
- Removing barriers to collecting information
- Restructuring Inclusion: Strategic Planning for Implementing Best Practices
- Responding to Harm: How to Handle Ongoing or Acute Incidents of Transphobia, Biphobia or Homophobia
- Recommendations for Electronic Records Systems
- Re-evaluating the Intake Process
- Culture Shift – Moving Care of LGBTQ Older Adults From the Margins to the Center
- Facility Walkthroughs: Making the Physical Space More LGBTQ-Welcoming
Panel Speakers: LGBTQ Elders
- 1 hour duration
- Panel consists of 3-4 LGBTQ Elders
- Openhouse trainers
Who we train
Staff at all agencies and organizations serving older adults, including administrators of long-term care facilities, those who provide direct services, administrative services, home care, practical support and other critical functions. When appropriate, we can also present to community groups, program participants, senior housing residents, volunteers, or interns.
Openhouse will continue working with your agency and staff after the training and we will be available for ongoing technical assistance and support.
Cultural Humility Trainings
We invite you to meet with one of our staff and talk about the ways Openhouse can support your organization in learning and better serving LGBTQ seniors.
Connect with us
Follow @openhouseSF on instagram
Openhouse enables SF Bay Area LGBTQ seniors to overcome the unique challenges they face as they age by providing housing and community programs.